Friday, October 1, 2010

Eating Gluten Free

Every time someone finds out I don't eat wheat or gluten, they act like I'm crazy. You don't eat pasta? You can't have cake? You won't even try a bite of pizza?

People always see negatives. But the thing is, I do eat pasta, and cake, and pizza. I just have to make it myself, without gluten. To be perfectly honest, I eat better now than I did before going gluten free.

I wake up and make myself eggs with lots of veggies and a side of sliced tomatoes. Instead of eating something from a microwavable box for lunch, I have a salad with leftover chicken or I make a quick stir fry from whatever's in the fridge.

For dinner, I serve grilled or roasted meat, a potato or rice, and lots of veggies. If we want pasta, I make a rice pasta. Pizza? I use a gluten free crust mix. Which, by the way, makes some delicious cheesy bread.

When it comes to sweet stuff, I love experimenting with gluten free desserts. There's been brownies, cake, and donuts. My favorite so far?

Chex Treats
1 bag marshmallows
1/4 cup butter
7 cups of Chex (I mixed rice and corn)
handful of chocolate chips

Melt butter and marshmallows in microwave. Start with 1 minute, check every 20-30 seconds until marshmallows are melted and smooth.

Stir in Chex.

Put mixture into a well greased 13 x 9 inch pan, press until even.

Top with chocolate chips and press them into treats.We won't discuss how quickly a huge batch disappeared in our house this week.

Have you voted for my Gluten-Free Big Hit recipe today?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum sounds and looks delicious. Daily vote as well!

Rob said...

Looks yummy plus I love chex so that is a double yum! Thanks for sharing.

Karyn Climans said...

A girlfriend's daughter has to eat gluten free so she's become very inventive about cooking as well. You're right ... it's a very healthy way to eat.
In Canada, there are a lot of restaurants serving gluten free options these days ... a blessing for some!
Thanks for visiting my blog site.

asliceofsmithlife said...

This looks great! Thanks for your visit to my blog and votes! I clicked a vote for you today for your Big Hit recipe!

Have a good weekend!
Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"
http://www.asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com

Aleksandra Nearing said...

That looks fabulous! Thanks for the recipe!

Ms D said...

YUM! And yes, I voted for you today and yesterday so far!! Great recipe hun :)

The Shopping Mama said...

That does look good! But, I'll admit, I can't imagine eating gluten-free. Mostly because I don't have your patience to make everything.

I voted for you!

Stacey said...

I don't think you are crazy, I admire your strength! I have a friend who has Celiac's disease along with a myriad of other problems. We've talked about her diet restrictions and the things she's had to change. I asked her once if she was ever tempted to stray and she told me that the consequences were too great. Besides, there's super yummy recipes like this one out there!

Tabitha Blue said...

That is so awesome!! A friend of mine just went gluten free and is having great results. She gets headaches now with just a bite of bread. Crazy. I'm sending her to your blog! :)

~Tabitha

Nicole Feliciano said...

No one ever said gluten free had to be boring. This is a great example of getting creative.

Simply Being Mommy said...

That looks like such a yummy treat!

Life Is A SandCastle said...

They look good, & sound fast and easy:)

tiff snedaker said...

That's awesome that you are able to do that. I don't know if I would have the patience, but I'm sure it's so much better for you.
Voted for you today :)