Friday, March 19, 2010

Homemade Pop Tarts

Pop Tarts:
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
6 tablespoons butter (softened)
3 tablespoons water
Jelly of your choice (I used strawberry & blueberry)
Splash of milk

1. Mix flour, salt, and sugar. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and mix until coarse balls form. Add the rest of the butter, mix until small balls form.

2. Add water slowly, until dough holds together. Throw dough until it begins to feel a little drier. (I tossed it for 3-5 minutes.)

3. Form dough into a flattened ball and place in fridge for 30 minutes.

4. Once chilled, roll out dough. It should be about 1/8 inch to 1/16 inch thick. Cut into 10 equal rectangles.

5. Add jelly to center of 5 rectangles, leaving space at the edges. Stretch the other 5 pieces out just a little and place over top. Seal edges with a fork. Poke holes in the tops of each, without going through the bottom layer of dough!

6. Place on parchment paper and brush with milk.

7. Freeze for 30 minutes.

8. Preheat oven to 375-400. And bake for 15-20 minutes. They will be golden brown.
Icing:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

9. Mix icing ingredients together and drizzle over warm pop tarts.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

What a good mama :)

Leah said...

Those look yummy!!!!!

Rob said...

I use to eat Pop Tarts all of the time but haven't had them in a long time. Your homemade Pop Tarts look yummy and I bet are 1000times better then the store bought ones. Thanks for sharing.

Adrienne said...

I am going to have to try those. i love pop tarts

Unknown said...

I should really try this, we have really really good strawberry preserves in the fridge!

Shonda said...

I want to make these sometime! I loved pop tarts, but I want to make my own.