Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Problem with Parents

Hubby and I were sitting in KFC the other day, eating some disgustingly greasy, wannabe chicken, when I overheard the conversation of two men behind me.

One was very vehemently discussing "the problem with parents today." Apparently he thinks that parents are too nice to their kids. That by praising our kids we are setting them up for failure. "Why do you think American Idol's such a hit? All their mommies and daddies told them what great singers they were growing up."

Every word out of this man's mouth was rude and judgmental. It was all I could do to bite my tongue. Though I admit, I did make several, loud comments to my husband about how well our son did at his last tumbling practice, about the new song he had learned in school. I may have even let it slip out that some people just shouldn't reproduce (aka Mr Arrogance behind me.)

Somehow I don't think the "problem with parents" is praising their kids. Nor do I think it's giving your kid lots of love and attention. I think the real issue lies with people not paying attention to their kids, not getting to know who their kids are, not being there to support them.

So, yes, I think my kid is amazing. I brag about him every chance I get. I tell him his songs rock and that his latest drawing (hanging on the fridge) is a work of art. I tell him his dance moves are awesome and that he's adorable. I tell him I love him every chance I get.

So to the jerk at KFC, I certainly hope you never have kids. If you do, I feel sorry for them.

19 comments:

Cassie Wallace said...

I think there is something to bed said for a stance in between the two.. yes, a lot of kids are coddled today, but, Mr. KFC, that does not mean to ignore your children!

Jennifer said...

I don't see how we raise our children to be confident, independent individuals if we don't praise them as children. And while we know Mr KFC should not have children, it seems that "those people" usually do.

Rob said...

I agree with you 100%. Praise and love need to be give all of the time but I am also a firm believer in dicipline when needed. I want my children to grow up to be confident individuals but not spolied brats either.

My KFC is a tool and doesn't know crap about kids or being a parent! That is obvious from his stupid rant with his friend. LOL.

nicóle said...

Couldn't agree more. I brag, about my kids every chance I get. Isn't that what we as parents are supposed to do? My kids walk on water as far as I'm concerned.

2Wired2Tired said...

It is definitely obvious that he doesn't have children. All those things he said would change in a blink once he had his own child - hopefully, otherwise you're right and he shouldn't have kids. I agree that it's the neglectful parents that are more cause for concern than the ones that are too attentive.

Lynsey Jones said...

Yeah, that's the kind of guy who produces a sociopath. What a jerk. And if he doesnt have children... I think I would have been inclined to ask how he was entitled to an opinion of a class he's never taken... I love when non-parents give parenting advice - or MY fav is my 55 year old uncle who has never been married nor has kids - but is the first to throw his opinion in on how BOTH should be done.... grrr.

Always a Southern Girl said...

Good Post. I agree that Mr. KFC has some issues!

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

There are too many people out there that think they know, but they really don't. Chances are this guy has a few kids out there and has done absolutely nothing to parent them. I get so tired of parents I know that want to "toughen" their kids up. How about teaching them to be caring, loving individuals with some sort of self esteem. Let your children believe they can do anything so they will strive to shoot for the stars. I completely agree with you!

sheila said...

I would have SO taught my kids how to shoot a spitball at that moment.

:)

Brittany said...

What a jerk face. I would have done something really rude to him and then said "My mom praised me for being a rude little girl. I guess you are right." LOL

Cascia Talbert said...

I disagree with that man. You can't give your children too much praise. Praising a child helps him develop self esteem. We all want our children to be happy and healthy.

Simply Being Mommy said...

I agree! Children deserve our attention, love and praise.

Nicole Feliciano said...

Mr. KFC probably had rotten parents of his own. I just try to do my best and not get mired in negativity.

tiff snedaker said...

Good for you. I think you have it exactly right. I don't think kids succeed by getting torn down their entire lives.

Anonymous said...

Well that could be said only from someone who has no kids, and who didn't get much praise from his parents growing up!
Awesome post, and thank you for stopping by!

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Let's hope that Mr. KFC doesn't have children!!

Sara said...

Definitely agree with you! When I was teaching, I could point out which children had actively involved parents and which didn't. It was so painfully obvious. :(

Green Mama said...

I really hope that man doesn't have kids! Why in the hell was he talking about this?

Cheryl said...

Wow. People are definitely ridiculous and I agree that some people shouldn't reproduce. SO disgusting, Mr. KFC. So disgusting.