Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fall Fest

I had such great expectations for our trip to the festival today. I must have been dreaming, or just truly crazy. Four adults should easily be able to handle three little ones, right? Hmm...not so much it seems.

We all drove up together, and somehow I drew the short straw (or was blessed with the smallest behind), so I was squeezed between two boosters in the last row of the van. Whoever designs minivans, must assume that only people under 100 lbs and 5 ft must sit in the back, because I knocked my head 3 times crawling in and my butt was numb within twenty minutes.

Then it started, "Are we there yet?" You've got to be kidding me, we pulled out of the driveway not even 5 minutes before. And I have it coming from both sides. That was the mild part of it, it continued on, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I can't see the movie, blah, blah, blah. Ending with the dreaded, I've got to pee now! Followed by Little M "GM's going to spray on us, lookout!" and her very own rendition of the pee song. Of course, I'm the only one who could hear all the banter, since everyone else was talking and enjoying their comfy bucket seats (all while I jealously stared).
Once we finally got there, things went much better. The kids played ring toss and did spin-art, we all ate too much, and I came home with my prized fruit salsa (apple this year).

The biggest issue came out of the bathroom situation. There was access to one "real" bathroom and Port-a-Potties scattered throughout the rest of the areas. We are in the furthest section from the bathroom, when GM announces he's got to go again. So I head for a Port-a-Potty, dreading the smell we're going to be faced with after seeing the lines. GM flips, yelling he won't go in them, he doesn't want to go in a hole, and won't go in that "box."

I pick him up, all 45 lbs, and head across the grounds, whispering that he needs to hold it (do not pee on me). What we're met with is hundreds of people standing in our way. I mean, say the word free food, and people are ready to fight if they think you're trying to cut in line. You do not want to get between grandma and her hot dog. Thankfully we made it just in time, and were not left mangled by the crazies who felt we were threatening their access to free food.

Note to self: Next year just let the kid pee on a tree!

No comments: