Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Kid Wears Sweats

Yes, my kid wears sweatpants.

In fact, he wears them almost every day.

He's 5. He likes to run around. He likes to play. And the last thing he worries about is what his clothes look like.

Now this isn't to say he doesn't dress nicely for school. His clothes match and are clean, but he's also comfortable.

The other day at work, someone said they had been given a few bags of clothes from a friend, but that they were "all sweats. Stuff my kids wouldn't wear out."

Wearing sweats doesn't define a person. Last I checked, we as adults should be teaching our kids not to judge others, and definitely not to judge them by what they're wearing. I have never been one to stress over who's wearing what. I'm happy if my kid is dressed on time to get to the bus, and I'm ecstatic if it's in something without grass stains.

I guess it's all about priorities, seeing as how the same person was going on and on about a $2200 purse. Seriously? It's a bag to carry your stuff. And if it's anything like mine, it'll have a fruit snack stuck to the bottom and be filled with random Legos, crayons, and baby wipes in no time. Seems if I had $2200 just laying around, I'd find something much more useful to spend it on. But that's just me.

9 comments:

koreen (aka: winn) said...

Sweats on preschoolers are a MUST... didn't you read The One and Only Parent's Handbook for everything you MUST know in order to Raise Your Kids right. Oh wait. It's not written yet. Well, then, must get on it.
And the purse: I have a purse fetish, but it's not about how much it costs, but how pretty it makes me feel. =)

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. It's what keeps the world interesting. I have no problem with my son wearing whatever he is most comfy in during "off time", but I'm adament about dressing a couple of notches better for school.

To me...he should respect "school" and dressing for school helps him keep it in a respectful frame of mind.

I have a friend who lets her son wear shorts 365 day a year. Yes, even in snow. She does not understand why the school nurse calls her every year and tells her he can not wear shorts if the temps are under 50 degrees. She thinks it's awful and non of their business. But I shut up.....it's non of my business.

Jennifer said...

It's funny that you posted this today! I have a picture here and was getting ready to post about my kids and sweatpants...a little different of a tale though.

Rob said...

I don't mind when my 6 yr old son wears seats. Who cars. As long as he is dressed and not looking like a slob. Heck, I even wear sweats that I just bought from Old Navy and I am a grown man. People focus on fashion to much. In this economy a $2200 handbag, get real!

kendahl a. said...

I don't think clothing should define a person, let alone when they are only 5. My daughter has just recently started dressing herself and it's been, ahem, interesting. But if it makes her happy, then so be it!

Brittany and Charlie-Social Butterfly said...

Amen!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Sweat pants make sense for 5 y.o. Now if one is wearing sweats to owrk that is a different story (unless you work in the NFL)

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

Ummm... my daughter wears sweats a lot. Does she also wear dresses and skirts, absolutely. She was just diagnosised with Sensory Processing Disorder - jeans, pants with buttons, and such cause her great stress. So this hits a special nerve in me today. I hate judgy mcjudge-alot people!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.