Monday, August 24, 2009

2 Days...

In two days, my little one will officially become a kindergartner. And I'm still not ready. All along I've thought: I'll be ready when the time gets here. I'll get used to the idea. I'll be ready for him to go.

But deep down, it hurts to see him go. I know that sounds absolutely crazy, but the thought of going from 5 years of him around almost every moment to being away from him for 7 hours/5 days a week, makes my stomach hurt. Every time I think about it, I want to sit down and cry.I don't though. I pretend to be so excited. I try to be a good momma. We read together about going to school, we practice our writing and our manners. We talk about what foods to pack for lunches, what we'll need to send in his backpack. We smile and laugh about it, and I ease his fears.

But who eases mine? All anyone wants to know: is are you going to work full time? What are you going to do all day? Won't you be bored?

And all I want to know is: how do you let go? How do you give them that push to grow, and learn, and still know you'll miss them every minute? How do you handle that complete change? And why do I feel so guilty that I'm the one worried?

12 comments:

Mandee said...

What you are feeling is completely normal. I was a nervous wreck when my first one started Kindergarten. I am sad now that my second is starting this year, but I'm not as bad as I was with my first. It's hard to adjust to, but just like everything else we have to just take it in and let them go. Heck, I even considered homeschooling my first b/c I was so scared to let go. We all go through it, but in the end he will be coming home to you (probably all excited) and you will be happy for him. :) Try to relax and get a little Mommy time. :)

koreen (aka: winn) said...

It will work itself out. He seems ready, and you'll be ok. It's ok to be sad (that he's growing up and moving on to the next thing). There's a lot of fun stuff to look forward to as well. I love the reunion following the separation... it's what I look forward to, but it was really hard at first. Growing pains. :(

Brittany and Charlie-Social Butterfly said...

I have no idea as I have not gone through this yet but I am sure God will work it all out for you!

My Trendy Tykes said...

awwww (((Hugs)))

Nicole Feliciano said...

Its tough to be excited and sad all at once. Just savor it all and start a little tradition.

Cascia Talbert said...

That must be hard seeing your youngest go off to Kindergarten. I'm sure he will do fine. Good luck to you mom. Our kids grow up way too quickly. My oldest is in 7th grade already. I don't know what I am going to do when my youngest starts Kindergarten.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

I am going to remember this post. I keep telling myself that when it's time for the kids to go to school, I'll be fine. We shall see. :)

Barely Domestic Mama said...

I am sure I will be in your shoes when my little guy goes to Kindergarten in 3 years. It sounds like you are doing a great job at getting him ready for school. What a great mommy you are for putting your fear aside for your son to make him feel comfortable.

4 Lettre Words said...

It's always harder on Mom!

Sam started Kindergarten a couple weeks ago and is loving every minute of the day. That has helped me handle it better. :o)

Chrissy said...

aww, time really flies! i agree with some of the other comments - it's very normal, and i'm sure it will get better (even though that doesn't help you now!). i can't believe he's going 7 hours a day - that will probably seem like forever while he's gone. our kindergarten classes were always half days. so i'm sure this will be a huge adjustment. (i'm also sure you won't get bored like people asked - i think moms running a household can always find something that needs to be done!) good luck to you both!! i hope it goes well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit today.

I will be praying for you as you are sending your big man off to school... I don't know how I'd do it!... I'm not going to :) I'm going to home school :)

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling said...

Oh, my oldest is 2 1/2 and I am terrified when I look ahead to that day....poor you! Be brave, Mommy!!