Monday, August 31, 2009

Trip Nowhere

My parents are planning a trip to Scotland in the spring. My sister recently got home from a trip to Poland. And the furthest I've been in months is Walmart, 20 minutes down the road.

Once in awhile, I look at my life and see how boring people must think it is. Some days, I have absolutely nothing to say. Some days, the only trip I take is to the mailbox. And some days, the most intelligent conversation I hold is with a 5 year old.

I find myself being jealous every now and then. I dream of faraway places, things I've never seen. I look through photos of places I've never been and people I've never met. And it just makes me wonder. The what-ifs creep in.

But then someone yells down the stairs, "Momma, momma, momma! I need you!" And all those questions disappear as fast as they appeared. It's amazing how someone so small can make everything else seem so right.

7 comments:

koreen (aka: winn) said...

You're at a good stage. soon, he'll be able to accompany you on many adventures. then he'll be driving. sounds like a plan to me. =)

Brittany and Charlie-Social Butterfly said...

So true! I can totally relate though...but those little bundles of joy make it all worth while:)

Theta Mom said...

I know how you feel. We went to Florida in May and I felt like that was such drama, lugging the kids so far away. You're better off staying home and traveling when they are older.

sheila said...

Ahhhh, I feel the same way! We have been married 20 yrs and have been on vacation TWICE (both with the kids) and the last time it was a cross country car trip with 3 teens (imagine the fun in that). Meanwhile siblings are going here there and cruises and sightseeing....blah blah.

I love my life...but I would enjoy an all adult vacation just maybe once........

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

*hugs* You and me both.

Amber! said...

Yes!!! You have hit it on the head! I needed that perspective today.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the excellent "perspective."

There may be "perks" to jet-setting around the globe, but the benefits of motherhood are far greater.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net