Monday, August 24, 2009

Smart But Feeling Dumb Review

There are certain things we hope our children will never have to deal with. And a learning disability is one of those things that usually tops the list. We hope learning comes easily, and that our children fall in love with school. I hate to imagine my little one struggling.

However, studies show that an estimated 20% of the world's population is affected by dyslexia. Dyslexia is composed of hundreds of symptoms, but all result from signals being scrambled in the inner-ear and cerebellum. It effects people differently, but causes many of the same issues for people dealing with it.Smart But Feeling Dumb by Harold N. Levinson, MD defines dyslexia, offers insight into how people with dyslexia see things, and provides information on the treatment of the disorder. The book shows people who have succeeded, despite dealing with dyslexia. It provides hope for families and individuals.

Over 35 years of research, Levinson found that treating dyslexia with a series of anti-motion sickness medication, antihistamines, and vitamins was met with great results. 75 to 85% of his patients saw improvements over the course of treatment.

Smart But Feeling Dumb is a comprehensive resource for parents or teachers. It shows people that dyslexia does not define a person, and there are treatments out there that have helped others. It breaks down stereotypes and shows real people.

Win It:
Would you like a copy of Smart But Feeling Dumb? I have a copy to giveaway to one lucky reader.

To enter:
Tell me one subject in school that always came easily to you (or to your kids). Or just tell me what your favorite subject was.

Want extra entries? (Leave separate comments for each)
  • Follow me on Blogger
  • Grab my button
  • Add me to your blog roll
  • Follow me on Twitter (Leave your username)
  • Tweet this giveaway (Leave link)
Giveaway ends 8/31 at 11:59 pm EST. Winner will be notified via email. Open to US only.

5 comments:

2Wired2Tired said...

My favorite subject was English. I loved to read and write, still do!

2Wired2Tired said...

Grabbed your button too.

sheila said...

Don't enter me, but this DOES look like a good book!

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such stories. I like to read stories like this. By the way add some pics :)