Saturday, July 2, 2011

Vacation

It seems that summer is flying by already, and I feel like we've done nothing! But when I really think about it, I realize that Little Man has had the chance to do quite a few things this summer already. And we still have two months to go. (Though I can't believe it's only two more months and that baby #2 will be arriving before summer comes to an end.)

A few weeks ago, we took a little 6-hour road trip. Surprisingly, the car ride went amazingly well. Little Man only asked if we were "there yet" 42 times, hubby only got us lost 3 times, and we only narrowly missed getting hit by another car twice. The number of times my seat was kicked was too high to count though, and the fact that it was followed by a smaller kick inside my belly almost every time made my hubby giggle. I wasn't nearly as amused.

Once we were there we spent a week doing fun things. The boys went kayaking, while I enjoyed a good book and a cup of hot cocoa on the house porch. My son (thankfully) arrived back in one piece, and though covered in fishy smelling mud and shivering, he was so excited to tell me about his adventure.
We went to the beach. The first beach outing Little Man can actually remember. He had a blast collecting shells and taunting the ocean.
We visited an amazing dinosaur park, call the Dinosaur Place. Life-sized dinos, an erupting volcano, miles to walk, and a playground, easily equals every little boy's dream.
We spent another afternoon exploring a castle and it's grounds. Surprisingly, Little Man loved going through the castle and declared he needs "popcorn" lights (lights within stained glass globes) for his room too.
And we went to an aquarium. Little Man still wants to be a zoologist one day, so he was so excited to get up close and personal with a beluga whale, feed a sting ray, and pet a shark. Momma was a little freaked out when it felt like the sting ray was going to ram my hand to get his food, but I survived with a smile on my face.
Getting time away, and the chance to focus on fun for a whole week was so nice. By the end of the week, Little Man and I were both excited to sleep in our own beds again though. But by the next day he was asking when we could go back to the "vacation house" again.

1 comment:

Mya Maternity said...

Wow, looks like you all had so much fun. Don't you love car rides with young kids. They can really drive you crazy, but it is good to take vacations with them when they are that age because they love the excitement. Fun times.