Friday, February 13, 2009

Farm Girl

It seems that the experiences we loved as a kid are the same ones we want to share with our own kids. And for good reason, of course. Thinking about all the things I did as a kid brings a smile to my face: sledding, playing pirates on the swingset my dad built, curling up with a flashlight and a good book.

I grew up on a farm. Simply said, we lived in the middle of nowhere. Being farmers, my parents didn't have a lot of money, but we never went without. We always had food on the table, always had something to do, and never knew just how tight things were.Being a farm girl definitely defines a bit of who I am. I can stack hay and carry grain with the best of them. I know how to tend to the animals, and I know how to create my own fun. Growing up, we made our own games and found ways to entertain ourselves. That's exactly what I want to pass on to my son, the ability to use his imagination, the power to play with things that don't require 4 AA batteries. I want him to see thinks simply.

5 comments:

Bloggymommy said...

I completely agree! Kids are too into using other things (i.e. video games, tv, computers, etc.) to play. Kids need to learn how to amuse themselves without needing tons of visual stimulation such as those I mentioned above.

I wish we could move to the country. I would love to see my kids playing out on a farm somewhere on a tire swing and treasure hunting through the land.

Jess NBP said...

I agree! The world hasn't gotten way over the visual aspect of life. I always made up stories in my head to put myself to sleep at night. How about that for reading time before bed. LOL

Sarah said...

Amen and pass the fresh air! I have taken the kids to the park every day this week and it makes me wish there was a way to move back to the country. I need it as much as they do.

Anonymous said...

That's great! Kids today definitely need to learn how to keep themselves entertained just by enjoying the world around them. When I was born, my parents had a house in the middle of nowhere, with horses and a barn. I didn't grow up there (and my parents only lived in it full time for a few years), but we used to visit it on weekends and in the summer. No TV, no phones, just fields and animals and a pond. I have great memories from that house!

AJ @ A Little Bit Nutty said...

I totally agree! I grew up on a farm and want my kids to experience the same things I did. We were always outside or on some outdoor adventure. That's why we moved where we live now. My kids love it here, we spend almost all our time outside in the summer at the creek or just taking walks in the woods.