Thursday, February 19, 2009

Time to Play Thursday

Earlier in the week, I shared a list of ideas of things to do with preschoolers. One of the little man's favorite activities is making homemade play dough.

Our recipe is really simple:
1/4 cup salt
1 cup flour
1/4 cup water

I let the little one dump the salt and flour into a bowl, then he uses a spoon to scoop in the water. You can just pour it in, but it keeps them busy longer doing it in spoonfuls. He is also in charge of kneading the ingredients together until it reaches play dough consistency. I usually end up adding a bit of water later, as this recipe dries out easily.

After he's played with it for awhile, usually an hour or more later, we create little volcanoes. We fill each with baking soda, than pour in some vinegar.

We also add in a few drops of food coloring or some sprinkles to make our eruptions look pretty. And, waa-la, some magical, bubbling, homemade fun.

3 comments:

Barely Domestic Mama said...

I can't wait to make homemade play dough with the Little Monkey. Right now I am pretty sure he will try to eat it since he is 22 months old. Love the idea of making the volcanoes!

Trish said...

I never would have thought about doing the volcanoes. That is awesome!

tara said...

You are awesome, I think I may do this right now! I might even post it and link back to you if you don't mind?