Saturday, December 19, 2009

What's Important

While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt
Less than a week until Christmas, I'm finding presents have yet to be shipped, cookies aren't baked, boxes haven't been wrapped. I'm feeling stressed and behind.

Little Man is sick with some stomach bug that hit over half his school. As I comfort him, offering snuggles and popsicles, I find myself feeling sick. And I know that I don't have time to be sick right now.

Yet somehow, I'm forgetting about what has to get done, what's filling up my to do list. I'm watching Air Buddies, taking afternoon naps with a little rugrat digging his cold toes into my side. I'm playing CandyLand and Go Fish until my fingers hurt. I'm reading Dinosaur Explorer and A Snowy Day over and over.

And tomorrow when the snow hits, I'm sure we'll pick up another book, make more popcorn, snuggle up to Saturday morning cartoons. I'll forget for a minute that Christmas is coming and I have responsibilities to tend to. And I'll just enjoy the moment. I guess someone so little really can teach me what life's all about.

8 comments:

koreen (aka: winn) said...

Wow. It sucks to be sick so close to Christmas... for the very thing you mentioned... getting stuff done. But if it's not done on time, that's okay. That's why there's a whole season for it, not just the one day. Besides, think of it this way: you're spreading out the christmas joy right through into the new year!
Good thing you have your priorities straight. =)

Pink Haired Momma said...

I hope your guys feel better soon. Who cares about cokies and presents. You guys have the greatst spirit of chrismas going for you riht now...love. wrapped up in each others arms and sharing moments in life you will forever cherish!! Reading booksand hearing the sweet sound of your childs voice. Doesnt get any better than that! Ejoy!

Unknown said...

What a great post, sorry you are sick but I totally get the whole the little things in life teach the biggest lessons, I seem to learn new lessons everyday.

Christy said...

Poor little guy! It sucks to be sick at Christmas. Enjoy your extra snuggle time, everything else can really wait!

Jessica said...

Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

I love snuggling my kiddos. But at the ages they are now they think I am kinda weird always wanting to love on them and snuggle.

Tammy said...

Congrats on being a winner over on MomBuzz. iCaughtSanta sounds so cool.

Cinnamon Hollow said...

Being sick if awful but having mommy to snuggle makes it bearable. I have a to-do list a mile long too but I think this year, I'm just going to make the snuggle time the to-do's and forget about most of the rest. It'll surely all wait. Hope you all feel much better this week!

sheila said...

Well put! I used to catch everything my kids had when they were your sons age. Now that they're older they prefer to stay in there room and take the portable dvd player in there and just watch movies all day.

THey text me when they need something, lol.