Thursday, August 27, 2009

The First

Early Wednesday morning, our house was filled with commotion. A little one donning a shark backpack was ready to head out the door. An hour before the bus was to arrive.

He was so anxious and excited, he could barely stand still. I was so anxious, my mind was racing through every last minute reminder I could think of.
He looked so grown up. So much older than just a few days ago.
By 3:45, I was waiting impatiently at the bus stop, ready for him to hop off the bus. He finally did, greeting me with a huge smile and a "Mommy!"

He grabbed my hand and talked all about his day, so quickly I could barely take it all in. Talked about the friends he made, the games he played, the things he learned.

Then he crashed. He curled up with as much food as his little belly could handle. Ate and ate and ate and just snuggled.

It was the first. And we made it through in one piece. One 179 more to go.

13 comments:

Aleta said...

Aww, that was so sweet. I like how he talked and talked and shared about his day. I don't have any children and I wonder about the changes kids go through, from the excitement of the first day, to throughout the school year and then the summer off. So many changes within such a short period of time.

Unknown said...

I remember my boys' first day of school. It was such a sad day for me, but I had to take Cam in the classroom, so I think that actually made it harder. I actually missed Parker's first day of school because I had to work. I felt so guilty, I called in the second day lol.

I hope your son continues to enjoy each day like his first. Happy Thursday!

Barely Domestic Mama said...

Awwww. I'm glad to hear you survived his first day. :) And I'm glad to hear your Little Man had a great first day.

kendahl a. said...

Oh, he does look so big! Don't worry, it will get easier.

koreen (aka: winn) said...

congrats! that's a big step. =)

Muthering Heights said...

He looks so cute in his first day of school outfit!

Anonymous said...

Very handsome!!

So glad his first day was awesome

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I'm glad you both survived the first day. Did you do anything fun to keep your mind occupied or were you worrying all day ;-) I hope he continues to enjoy his school. It makes it sooo much easier!

KayceeT said...

Great post. Glad you both survived the first day. Siunds like he loved it and that's relieving!

Cascia Talbert said...

That is adorable. It sounds like he had a great first day of school.

miranda said...

Awww, bless your heart! A very bittersweet post.

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh, I want to cry! Time goes by so fast, before we know it, they'll be in college! *sniffle* Congratulations on his great day at school! :-)

Brittany and Charlie-Social Butterfly said...

Well atleast he was excited! Glad you got another day under your belt:)