Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Blog Party Day 5: Giving Back


Welcome to day 5 of the MomDot Blog Party! I'm loving getting to know everyone a little bit better.

Today's Question:
Do you volunteer during the Holidays? What organizations do you donate your time to? How do you teach your kids the true meaning of the Holidays?

Today's Sponsors: Baby Pop and Chic Covers

When the holidays roll around, my hubby gets scheduled mandatory over-time at work. Between that and being home with GM all day, we don't get a chance to do much, including volunteering. Before having him, I used to volunteer year round and really enjoyed it.

Since we aren't able to volunteer directly, our family chooses 1 or 2 names from our local Star Tree. Basically, names of children in need are placed on the tree, along with their clothing sizes, likes, dislikes, etc, and the person who chooses their name buys items to be sent to them from Santa. GM and I go shopping for our chosen children. We usually pick out some warm clothes and a toy or two. Everything is wrapped and dropped off at the donation center.

I can't say that I've done anything specific to teach my son the meaning of the holidays. To us, the holidays are about family and giving, and we model that behavior for him. We include him in the Star Tree, we have him create homemade gifts, he helps bake cookies and hands them out to family and neighbors. We include him in all of our holiday events, he picked out our Christmas tree last year, he helps decide the menu (although I have to expand from chocolate cake), and he decorates paper we can use to wrap gifts with.
At the tree farm last year. We sent the Charlie Brown tree to live on grandma's porch.

Be sure to enter my Pillsbury Home is Calling giveaway!

20 comments:

MMJ said...

What a cute picture!

Colleen said...

your son looks so proud of his christmas tree!

Cathy said...

It's hard to volunteer when you have small children. I think giving is a great way to teach our children the true meaning of Christmas!

Erin Tales said...

I think you're doing a great job getting your son to know the meaning of Christmas. It takes time!

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

I like your traditions and the way you model for your son. Great job!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

It's hard with little ones to find the time to volunteer, but it sounds like you are doing more than you are giving yourself credit for. Great job!

Natalie said...

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job sharing the meaning of Christmas with your son!

Tena said...

Look how proud and handome he is! You are doing a great job!!

A.V.A said...

Such a sweet picture.

Anonymous said...

You do good things. You may not be spending time at a soup kitchen, but you're still volunteering your time and energy and helping someone in need. Here's My Day 5! I put Mr. Linky up, come get your link love!

hippos toes said...

Great pic of your son! Sounds like you have some great traditions for your son/family!

Barely Domestic Mama said...

Love the picture!

Sounds like you are doing a great job teaching your son that Christmas is more than just getting presents. Way to go!

Unknown said...

that's sweet!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Sweet picture and a fun project from Momdot. I'll check out the giveaways.

Anonymous said...

Very cute pic!

My kids do a lot of volunteering during the school year for hospices, soup kitchens, shelters and the mentally disabled. When we had service projects of those types during their middle school years, I used to go help out.

But now I don't go so much. I will though help through donations of clothing, misc items (can't do money this season cuz I'm pretty broke).

My kids are older and understand the meaning of Christmas. It's really a wonderful thing! And this year we're reallly cutting back due to money issues. So if the meaning wasn't totally clear before, it will be on Dec 26! LOL

Princess Hairstyles said...

That star tree sounds like a great idea. How nice!

Momstart said...

You are doing great things

http://www.momstart.com

mine is up and mr linky hates me

Momstart said...

That's really great that you used to volunteer kids take a lot of time

Sarah said...

I totally have to get the kids to do the wrapping paper this year!! What a great idea!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Love the Charlie Brown tree pic. What a great smile!