Friday, November 21, 2008

Blog Party Day 8: Black Friday


Welcome to day 8 of MomDot's huge blog party!

Today's Sponsors:
Koshas, Leapfrog and Soda Club

Today's Question:
Do you shop on Black Friday? What time do you start? Do you complete your shopping this day? What’s the best deal you have ever found? What’s your shopping strategy?

Before have GM, I never shopped on Black Friday. The few dollars I could've saved were not worth standing in line forever, getting elbowed by some old lady, or being cussed out over the last talking Elmo. Really not worth it. Once GM arrived, four years ago, I had to start saving money, and getting good deals. And, lo and behold, I ventured out for my first adventure into the world of Black Friday.

I honestly dread it, but we all make sacrifices. So, I get myself up and out the door by 4 am, with a crabby, cranky, irritable 4 year old in tow. Did I mention he's annoyed if he doesn't get a full night's sleep? And we meet up with whoever is available to go, be it my mom, my sister, my sister's best friend, anyone at all, as long as I'm not facing the mob alone.

We have our plan laid out the night before. We scour circulars for the best deals, the top must-buys of the days, and we head there first. Then we go to a few other stores and make it home before 9 am. I never get everything all in one day, but I do manage to cross quite a few things off my list. The best deal I've ever gotten was a kid's laptop computer last year, that was originally $40, on sale for $10. Too bad, GM wasn't thrilled and used it once, maybe he'll grow into it.

Do you shop? What's on your list of must-haves this year? I really need ideas on what to get my 4 year old!

16 comments:

Sarah said...

This is me giving you a standing ovation. You face it? And with a child in tow? I'm thinking you might get a huggy jacket from me for Christmas!!

Miss Blondie said...

You are one brave woman!!

Natalie said...

You are soooooo brave!

Trish said...

Wow. I can't believe you take your kid with you!

Proud Mommy said...

I am impressed!!!

Cathy said...

You are officially on my "WOW" list! Good for you!

Tena said...

wow not only are your brave for going, but your brave for going that early with a child! good luck!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I can't give you any ideas for gifts. We are stumped ourselves for our four year old. It doesn't seem like there are any really neat must haves this year.

As for your Black Friday shopping, I bow before you in awe.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

I love black friday but have never tried it with a child in tow! I hate even having my hubby along!!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

The last comment was from the wrong google account. Please delete it.

Venturing out with a kid...you are my hero!

Diana

Check out my Family FotoFun Friday @ Diana's Daily Ramblings

Bridgette said...

No way! have fun this year!

Melissa said...

My little guy is almost 4 and he LOVES Playmobile toys. (and so does his 6 year old brother) We have a few sets and they hold up very nice! (just one idea)
I just want to add... the Playmobile sets usually come with small pieces.. so if that's an issue, you could just remove the smaller pieces until he is ready.

Unknown said...

Oh, heck-freakin-no!

There's NO WAY I'd take my kids with me. They're a pain in the butt at home!

Momstart said...

how you do that is a wonder my two year old would be a monster

Jenna said...

You are one brave Mommy!

Sandy said...

I've taken my kids on Black Friday. There is so much going on around them that they were always very well behaved. Now, I sleep in and send my hubby to do the shopping. He's really good about finding everything I need and I get to relax.