Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Momma's Boy

Being a stay-at-home-mom, I always had visions of the hubby coming home from work and being ready to take over for at least a few minutes, giving me a much needed chance to have a moment of peace. While the door opening is usually met with squeals of "daddy's home!" The excitement seems to dwindle quickly and I never get that tiny bit of quiet I've wished for all day.

GM is such a momma's boy. I feel like he's connected to my hip most of the time. If I'm in the kitchen, he's not far behind. I'm doing laundry, he's there to help. We always read bedtime stories as a family, but more often than not, GM attempts to kick daddy out of the bed, literally.

I feel guilty that he doesn't want to spend as much time with daddy as he does me. On the days they are home alone, GM complains that "he always has to do what daddy wants to do." Meaning, they had to go to the store, or GM didn't get to pick the afternoon movie. Rough times, I tell you. I'm laid back, didn't get to the store, we'll do it tomorrow. I feel like I'll go insane watching Animal Alphabet one more time, I pop on some earphones and use those 43 minutes to listen to some music or go on-line.

I rarely argue with a four year old, knowing well how those battles end, usually with whining for a full hour afterwards. So, sure, I give in more often than I should, but I enjoy the peace and the opportunity to have a whine-free afternoon is not one I give up easily.

4 comments:

Kris said...

aww.

Well, if it helps any I have a 4 year old Momma's girl.

She is okay doing things with Daddy too, but given a choice between staying home with one of use or going, she'd choose me, no matter what I was doing.

Princess Hairstyles said...

I would say, just enjoy it. You never know when he'll think mommy's not so cool anymore. I'm not looking forward to those teenage years anyway.

Kim @ What's That Smell said...

Mine are both hit or miss. It depends upon their moods. Sick or tired, they want mom, but dad is often an acceptable alternative, thank goodness!

Unknown said...

Ahh, but you are a wise mama to understand that it is survival of the fittest and you just won't win that one with a 4 yr old.:)