Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Top Reasons I Hate Family Get Togethers

Someone is always sick, getting sick, getting over being sick. And the germs get passed around the table as quickly as the mashed potatoes.

Meltdowns are a given. Sometimes it's the kids, sometimes it's me.
Snide comments are a given too. Someone always looks like they've gained weight, or has a pimple, or has a kid who is whiny and disruptive. And someone always feels the need to point it out. Luckily, my only claim was the whiny kid.

Discussions always get heated. Someone always brings up politics, or money, or being green, and there goes the nice talk. So sorry hickville doesn't offer recycling pickup. And I guess I'm just to lazy to drive the 45 minutes myself, leaving me an awful earth-hating momma.

Someone always gets hurt. It's usually my kid. I guess since we rarely dress up, he doesn't excel at running in dress pants, leading to his hands and knees meeting the pavement.

I take home tons of stuff we don't really need. Easter basket 1, 2, and 3 all were loaded into the car yesterday. Seriously people, it's not Christmas in April. And giving my kid toys you found on clearance at Montgomery Ward 22 years ago is not my idea of fun times.

I'm always so exhausted by the end of the day, I just want to crawl under the covers all alone.

And finally, my little one is so exhausted that he refuses to go to sleep or even relax long enough that I can catch my sanity. Oh, and did I mention he likes to talk when he's tired. Non-stop.

9 comments:

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

You sure you weren't at my family get together? That sounds exactly like what we went through on Sunday.

Brittany and Charlie-Social Butterfly said...

Hilarious. I'm sorry it was painful! I enjoy reading your blog, good stuff!

Celina said...

I hate the non-stop tired talking. My daughter does that too, and it is BRUTAL! I think we may very well belong to the same family. This sounds verrrrrry familiar!

Chrissy said...

Aww, that's too bad. Although I think you captured the essence of many family get-togethers. :-) I hope you got some rest afterwards!

Jesica said...

I can SO relate to this! It is nice to know our family is not the only one who acts like this. Thanks for stopping by my blog on WW. You've got a handsome little guy too!

Jenny said...

That sounds like my family get togethers. Ugh.

Ann said...

My gosh you have perfectly described every get together we have with my in-laws. Even my husband gets annoyed when we get together with his family.

Thanks for stopping by my Wordless Wednesday today!

Nadia said...

Are you sure your not talking about my family? You described them to a T! I feel your pain.

Thanks for the stopover on my WW post!

Abbie said...

I am sorry it was so brutal. But you made me smile reading this! I feel you though. My kids do get wound up after a visit with my husband's krazy Korean 55-person family get-togethers.