Tuesday, April 28, 2009

To Yard Sale or Not to Yard Sale...

Yet again, I find myself debating a yard sale. It's nice to de-clutter and make a little money, but I'm never quite sure it's worth the time and aggravation. Last year's sale took days to prepare for, and I was exhausted by the time it was over.

I also learned quite a bit from it:
  • I hate people touching my stuff. I thought I was okay with people buying my junk, but I still wanted to tell them to be careful and to wash their hands before touching.
  • I'm not a fan of talking to people. I got asked weird questions, got hit on by somebody's grandpa, and got to listen to some of the most random stories ever. Boundaries people, boundaries.
  • Toys sell better with batteries in them, but, it is so annoying to her Elmo sing 56 times in 8 hours. La la la la la, Elmo's World... It sang when the person beside you pushed it, do you really need to try it out again just to be sure?
  • No matter how much you make, it never ends up to be a profit. We had a decent sale, but as I carried back in the tables we used to set up on, I bumped the corner of the glass top, chipping off a huge corner. Now, yes, stupid me for using it in the first place, but we were desperate for table space. The table is still in the den with the chipped corner hiding in the back.
Now I have to decide if the money is worth the effort or if I'll be more aggravated by the time the day is over.

Do you hold a yard sale each year? Love it or hate it?

11 comments:

Kelly said...

I've never held a yard sale. I'm holding onto all of our baby items for the next kids. But once we know we are completely done having kids we will have a lot of stuff to get rid of. But I don't know if any of it will be worth selling by then.

Melissa said...

My family has never held a yard sale. Like you, we can't stand the heat, and the idea of sitting outside, in the sun, all day is very unappealing!

The bigger reason, though, is that we decided that it would be more rewarding to give things away than sell them for pennies on the dollar. When we get a carload of outgrown clothes, etc., we take a drive to the Salvation Army store.

Brittany and Charlie-Social Butterfly said...

I have only been in our house for a year and love to de clutter and the extra money. So personally I am ready to have one as soon as I have enough stuff. BUT I have also never had one so I am bias:)

Celina said...

I've held five sales now, and all but two were definitely not worth the hassle and headache. The two that were worthwhile were the ones we had right before we moved. We sold everything we had because we thought we were moving cross country and didn't want to drag a bunch of stuff with us. Those sales were very successful. The declutter sales...not so much. I take everything to Goodwill now or consign the nice kids' stuff at a local shop.

And I TOTALLY here you on the whole "boundaries" issue. Some people have no concept of tmi! Lol!

Jennifer said...

I do one every year or so, and every year I swear I'll not do another. Then the urge to de-clutter overcomes me and I have one. ;P

Maria@Conversations with Moms said...

I've never had a yard sale for the exact reasons you mentioned you hated it. I've walked past some of the yard sales around my neighborhood which holds a lot of them. For Most of the prices that items are being sold for, I don't think it would be worth my time.

I wouldn't have the patience to haggle on every item I'm trying to sell.

Laurie said...

Ive been debating the same thing, but hate to part with all my stuff if I might have another. At the same time it all seems like a big hassle too without knowing if anyone will buy anything.

Gem said...

I never had one, but always entertained the idea...we always end up just donating items (at least once every few months) to various organizations, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have the $.

I just don't like the thought of strangers coming near our home =)

Abbie said...

My family did a yard sale each year when I was a kid, but now as an adult owning way too many items I don't use, I have yet to get in gear for a yard sale. I do know what you mean about the work vs. the money not always balancing out. And the social aspect, yes, leaves something to be desired sometimes. Thanks for this post, it made me laugh! Abbie

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I was just debating the same thing! Our community is having a group sale so at least I wouldn't have to advertise and put up signs, but it is still a pain. I hate marking prices on everything and then sitting out in the driveway. Around here, we get people who try to banter on the prices. Really, does it matter that much if you pay $1 vs $0.75? Please!

Pricousins said...

I had one once and it was not lucrative but I was just talking to the HOA prez today to ask about having a community one!

You've been busy reading my blog! thank you!