Monday, July 27, 2009

Things That Go Party

I think I should have deemed this party week here at Momma's Gone Over the Wall! I can't help it though, I've got parties on the brain.

For my son's 3rd birthday party, we had a terrible time coming up with a theme. He was obsessed with the movie Cars, monster trucks and construction vehicles. So we came up with "Things that Go" as an all encompassing theme.

To decorate we used vehicles from our toy bins and lots of balloons and streamers.

Lunch consisted of pinwheel sandwiches, fruit and veggies, and macaroni and cheese made with wheel pasta. We also had stoplight cookies and cars and trucks made from jello.

Cookies:
Veggie car:

Fruit car (sorry for the blur):
Lightening McQueen and Monster Truck cakes:During the party, I had tons of ride-ons for the kids to play on, a ramp set up for them to race cars, and Cars playing on the tv for anyone who needed a break. We also had a bubble machine set up-which was a huge hit with the little ones.
For favors, each attendee received a few toy cars, car and monster truck fruit snacks, Cars stickers, and a tee (in blue/red or pink/purple). I was amazed at how excited the kids were about the shirts. Almost all of them had asked to wear them home.

21 comments:

Brittany and Charlie-Social Butterfly said...

Looks like it turned out great! Love the watermelon car!

Melissa said...

Looks like fun! Great idea with the traffic-light cookies!

Anonymous said...

Awwww that is awesome! Love your ideas!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I knew you would be able to pull it all together. Love the shirts!

Chanda said...

What great ideas! I would have never of thought of that with the cookies, too cute!

Theta Mom said...

My son LOVES that movie Cars, too! He has a milllion little lightning McQueen toy cars. He would have flipped over that party! I like the t-shirt idea, too. You're so creative! :)

Anonymous said...

You are so creative! The cookies and the watermelon car were great ideas:)

Amber! said...

Those cookies are awesome! And the cake was too cool. You must have scored big on this party!

Anonymous said...

Bubbles are always a home run. I love the shirts also.

koreen (aka: winn) said...

Love it. I like how simple and do-it-yourself it is.... finding stuff around the house to use and making t-shirts. Awesome! =)

Theta Mom said...

I know I already left a comment, but I wanted to tell you that I've given you an award!!! Be sure to come by http://www.thetamom.com to collect. :)

Chrissy said...

What a great party!! I love seeing how the themes work through everything. You're very creative! Plus, it looks like a lot of fun. :-)

Anonymous said...

I just remembered a fun addition to a Cars party -- I'm sure many will be inspired to have one after seeing yours. My brother-in-law came up with a "Tow Mater" game. It was kind of like fishing, but with cars. He had cut outs of the cars and put paperclips around them. Then a pole with a string and a magnet was the tow truck, pulling thae cars out of a pile-up. The kids had a great time.

sheila said...

How FUN! I miss theme parties. Mine are too 'old' now, lol.

Mrs Zeee said...

wow- you are really good with the ideas. got any for a little girl's 1st birthday? i have to plan for Miss Smiley this November and I am fresh out of good ideas...Please share on my blog if you have any!!

Mandee said...

Looks like a lot of fun! We are about to have a birthday party for our 6 year old. We actually have 3 of them the next couple of months. I love your ideas! :)

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Crazy cool idea! Love the cookies and the shirts! Mind if I borrow those ideas? :)

Bloggymommy said...

You are soooo creative! I love this! What a great idea for your son...I bet it's one b-day he'll never forget! LOVE the traffic light cookies and watermelon car! Too cute! :) Happy birthday to your little man!

Rhonda Gales said...

Great ideas. I love the stop light cookies and the fruit car. My grandson's birthday is coming up in September, I would love to use your ideas if you don't mind.

Please do a post on how you made them.

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What creative party food, love the traffic lights!

Christie
http://childhood101.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.