Sunday, July 5, 2009

YogaBuddies Bedtime Stories DVD Review

For Christmas this past year, my little one received a yoga mat and instruction book. He was ecstatic, and I was impressed that he was more excited about trying out poses than playing with the new toys he opened.

Over the past few months, we've tried various books and DVDs, but none of them captured his attention or were even really geared towards his age range.

I recently had the chance to share the YogaBuddies Bedtime Stories DVD with him. The DVD contains 3 stories and 42 yoga poses. The poses are intertwined with the bedtime stories and are designed to help children relax and calm down before bed.YogaBuddies was founded by Danay DiVirgilio, who has worked as a behavorial therapist to children with Autism and as a leader of a business leadership program for teens. YogaBuddies has provided yoga instruction to 3000+ school-aged children in over 45 schools and organizations.
My 4-year-old was captured by the stories. He easily followed the poses the children on the DVD were doing. I loved that there were children showing the poses, as it gave him more confidence to try them. With other DVDs he constantly asked if he was doing "the moves" right, but with YogaBuddies, he just followed what he saw.

The DVD also succeeded in calming him down before bed. With summer, our routine is not nearly as strict, but we will definitely be watching the Bedtimes Stories DVD more often during the school year. Hopefully it will continue to calm my little one and help him get a good night's sleep.

6 comments:

Barely Domestic Mama said...

I was just thinking I needed to get a yoga mat for my little guy since he tries to copy me when I do yoga. This is great that they have a dvd of yoga for kids!

koreen (aka: winn) said...

That's awesome! I'm not into yoga but I've thought about it. Anything that can calm down an active energetic super-boy is great by me. I'm going to have to try this. Bedtime sometimes is a nightmare! =)

Momisodes said...

I had no idea yoga was a good calming motivator before bed. This sounds great!

Mrs Zeee said...

i really like this idea. i would love to buy one for my little girl once she is old enough to participate. thanks!

Benefits of yoga said...

Yoga is very good for health. Sometimes children don't find it interesting. So for them one can teach yoga with some interesting animal poses like owl pose, bird pose, butterfly pose, cricket pose etc. By such poses, they will learn yoga and also they will find it different and interesting.

Benefits of yoga said...

Yoga is very good for health. Sometimes children don't find it interesting. So for them one can teach yoga with some interesting animal poses like owl pose, bird pose, butterfly pose, cricket pose etc. By such poses, they will learn yoga and also they will find it different and interesting.